Tuesday, May 14, 2019

"One Week" - Barenaked Ladies & Now For Something Completely different.

So we're changing things up a little bit. I decided to bore you less times a week, but now blog posts have MORE action packed reading (YMMV). You are welcome faceless Internet people!






So if I had not explained before, let me take a step back and give you some background.
This whole thing, all of the poker talk, the poker posts, the poker blogs have been leading to ONE thing.... I am playing in World Series of Poker Event #14 $1500 H.O.R.S.E.  on Wednesday June 5th.
This will be the first WSOP event I have played in exactly 10 years, to the month.
And for those who might be wondering "what is HORSE?" well it is:
Hold'em (limit)
Omaha Hi/Low
Razz
Stud
Stud Eight (Hi/Low)
This is a game I used to play A LOT online prior to Black Friday, and I played $6/$12 cash game HORSE at the Venetian my first trip to Vegas in 09. I liked it because you really have to know a mediocre level of strategy in EACH of the 5 types of poker to really be successful.

So that leads us back to Saturday May 4th. I went to Talking Stick, because I have been playing TONS of limit Hold'em but I haven't really played much Omaha Hi/Low in awhile (Razz is a fairly easy and straightforward game, plus no one offers it as a cash game, and both Studs are hard to find out here. It was abundant at Foxwoods).

I was going into this day planning on losing $100 more, so it was mainly a day to get back into the grove of reps  playing O8 again. I tried to keep notes as the beginning as you can see, but with 08 its just too much. Entire hands change based on a single card (even more so than Hold'em) so up and down is a constant issue with this game. ultimately i was down almost $100, got back up like $30 bucks, then ended up losing $151.
My major issues for this session was card selection, and folding when I know I have no good draws and I'm beat.
Disappointed, but not unexpected with my lack of O8 playing in many many years.

This was a disappointing night overall, even though I did walk away with $97 profit. It should have been $100+ more.

Notable hands:
Me: QQ
Raise pre-flop and get a ton of callers.
Flop is Qx-10x-Xx
Guy to my right bets out, I raise, 1 guy calls, the bettor calls. Turn is blank, River is blank, only guy who called me all the way was the guy to my right. I showed set of Queens, he mucked a set of 10s. (+$130)
16 minutes later...
Me: QQ
Before it gets to me, there is a raise and a re-raise, so I keep it going and re-raise again. Original raiser caps the betting
Flop: Qx-Xx-Xx
We did it again ya'll. Held through the turn and river to push us to up +$216 for the session almost 2 hours in.

Then began a looong slow sinking to only $50 up. Gradually that was replaced by a slow but steady climb back up.

Next big hand...
Raised with AJcc flopped an A, bet the whole way, river was a Jack to make 2 pair and take a decent sized pot. 11 minutes later, raise pre-flop with KK bet the whole way and it holds on showdown which gets us to the highest point up ($222) of the day around 8:30. At this point is almost 4 hours in, and I really should have walked, because I immediately got way too splashy and did a dumb thing like bet my AJ on the river when a third spade hit thinking Id scare someone who had a K in their hand but not a boat (KKx on flop) out of calling. Yeah, that didn't happen and I took a decent sized hit.
Finally left an hour later with only $97 to show for it.



The Thursday session was legit crazy. I was down $78 relatively early (mostly due to bad luck like this:
Me: AxQx
FLOP: Ax-Ax-Xx
 Guy first to act bets, I just call
Turn: Xx
Guy bets again. Pretty sure with this bet he also has an Ace, so I want to find out how good it is. I raise, he just calls. I'm fairly certain I'm ahead here.
River: 2x
There is no way I could know this a bad card for me. He checks, I bet again, he raises (but did it kinda shady when it looked like he just called but the stack he put out was bigger than my bet) so I know im only getting raised by a boat of some kind here, but I call it down anyway. He had A2 of course.
So that was the early hit.
BUT. This was a splash pot bonus night with the Dbacks game on, so I was able to scratch my way back into it.
The first good hand I had was with J9 and I flopped the nut straight. Held all the way to the river betting the whole way. That got me up to only $3 down.
The next hand I won was a splash pot. This is where they toss $50 in the pot and basically everyone limps in with any 2 cards to see who gets lucky. I had my always lucky hand 57. Flop netted me a 7, and I decide to call the flop bet because why the heck not. Turn was a 7. My A2 nemesis bet and I raised. He muttered how he knew I had a 7 but ended up calling me the whole way anyway. Made almost $100.
Later on had pocket 8s, flopped an 8. Raised the flop, bet the turn and got raised by a made straight. River paired the board so I raised after he bet and took it down for another $50ish bucks.
The next splash pot I had Q3o and ended up chopping it at the end with Q2o. good for another $60. It was on a downward spiral from there. Including a big loss when my turned 2 pair actually made some one's straight. But then good old AQ netted me another $80ish pot when I outkicked opponents A10. Left after 5 hours with a $146 profit.

And finally to last Saturday. We journeyed back to Talking Stick to play more Omaha Hi/Low. I was armed with the knowledge of my loss last week and I was determined to make much better hand selection this time.
We had some success early, then it started to tank a bit. I don't remember any specific winning hands until THE hand.




Our Hand: Jd-9d-9h-10x
Limped flop (as it usually is).
Flop: 9s-10d-Xx
Checks to me, I bet. 2 callers
Turn: Qd
I feel like Im still ok, but obviously very vulnerable to a KJ or even J8, both possible hands.
I bet, 2 callers.
Flop: Kd
Alright, so you all see what I have right? Well. I am 100% tunnel vision on my set of 9s getting flushed away. It checks to me and I check.
I announce my set of 9s, flip up my cards to ACTUALLY LOOK AT MY FREAKING cards, and say "oh I guess I have a King high straight flush". No low possibility so I scoop the pot and look like an idiot. 
The dealer when she leaves chuckling says "Now remember, always bet your straight flushes on the river".
Anyway, I was up at most $120, and when I got down to about $50 up, I wanted to leave to maintain a winning session and I did!

The overall winning week pushed out Net Winnings since Mid-April to $937. Thats almost 2/3rd of the way to the $1500 target I was aiming for with my WSOP buyin!

This week I will be playing: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday all at VQ followed by another Saturday trip to Talking Stick for Omaha.

Thanks for reading!




No comments: