Sunday, June 8, 2008

The irony of Q-4 offsuit and poker musings

First off, Pauly, no need to thank me man, thank you for the awesome behind the scenes reporting that you do for us on a daily basis.

Online has been nil, 2nd and 3rd-ed a 5.50 SnG on FT, lost a SnG on PS when I ran a set of presto into 9-8ss and As-Jh. Naturaly 4 spades and no pairs on the board.

Hit off F-woods Sunday for the 10am $120 tourney. First live MTT for me since a 2006 Act 3. So I register late (10 minutes) and only one set of blinds have passed.

I ended up playing retarded to start off. Combination of nerves and mis-reading the table. First hand I had 10-10, in the cutoff. Blinds are 50/100, MP raises to 200, and I re-raise to 600. MP calls. I put him on A-K, A-Q, Q-Q, or J-J. Flop is an awesome K-Q-x double sooted. MP bets out. I fold.

Another time Im the big blind and it checks to me, I figure its just me and the SB so I bet out with my 4-9 when I see a 9 on the flop, but i guess i didnt see the MP who just called, so he raises me naturally...

Anyway it goes on like this until Im down to about 2500, half the starting stack, and I pick up A-Qo. I raise to 800 (blinds are 150/300) and short stack goes all in for 2200. I figure he either has an underpair, and its a coin flip or he has A-K.

So I call... I really should re-name this blog "So I Call", and he flips up Q-10hh. Wow I friggin big favorite. Q on the flop, and I avoid a 10. I double up to a little over starting chip stick. Basically thats it. I raised all-in when I got down low enough, picked up blinds and antes and hung around until 25th place.

I have approx 7800 left, blinds are 1000/2000 and 200 antes. I just became the BB, so 2k down. UTG+2 raises all in for 8850. folds around to me where i could almost feel a pocket pair in there. 8-8. call. What does UTG+2 flip up? None other than Q-4o. I stood up knowing the flop would have a....Q. Tourney over.

So 5 from the money in my first live MTT, disappointing but not bad.

I also ended up buying "The Professor, The Banker, and The Suicide King", excellent book with an amazing look into the lives of professional poker players.

The irony is that Beal, The Banker, summated that there are 5 hands that win at least 50% of the time, and 1 of them...you guess it, is Q-4o!! Wish i woulda read the book BEFORE the toruney.

Im off for the next 3 days, but I hope everyone is doing well!

No comments: